Friday, August 2, 2013

Making a salad this weekend?


If you saw Wednesday's story about chefs who grow their own food, you may have noticed Diedra Laird's lovely picture of the heirloom tomato salad from CustomShop in Elizabeth. Reader Jeanne Spragins contacted me later and asked about the herbalicious dressing that is draped over the tomatoes.

Sorry, Jeanne. Sometimes photographers go out separately from reporters, and I didn't know that Diedra had come back with that picture. I had already gotten chef Trey Wilson's recipe for mussels with a variety of hot peppers.

I asked chef Wilson if he would be willing to share the topping as well, and he sent the recipe on Friday. So here you go, ready to go for your weekend salad needs. Thanks, Jeanne, Trey -- and Diedre, of course.

Salsa Verde
From chef/owner Trey Wilson of CustomShop.

Use fresh herbs:
1 sprig rosemary
2 tablespoons fresh oregano
1 tablespoon fresh  thyme
1/2 cup parsley
1/4 cup chives
4 cloves shaved garlic
1 cup olive oil
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)

Finely chop all herbs and combine with oil and vinegar. Store in refrigerator. 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just buy my salads at the Red Lobster and the Olive Garden. They keep me regular ;)

MP ASU 2003 said...

I LOVE tossed salads! And Cam Newton!!!

ASU 2003
MP