Wednesday, August 14, 2013

If you could eat anywhere in N.C., where would you go?

Tuesday night at the NASCAR Hall of Fame was the annual N.C. Division of Tourism Showcase. That's when tourism and visitors' center people from places like "Nature's Playground Burke County" and "Fayetteville: History, Heroes and a Hometown Feeling" come to Charlotte to tell writers why we should tell you to visit Burke County and Fayetteville (because one is Nature's Playground and the other has history, heroes and a hometown feeling, of course).

Between picking up packs of "The Andy Griffith Show" playing cards and brochures on Lake James, I decided to ask them what they really know: Where you need to go eat, right now, in North Carolina.

What did they say?

5 comments:

Mr. P said...

Im going to Carrboro next weekend. Any suggestions on where to eat? Its just me so something low key and casual. I have heard of Mamma Dips. Shrimp and grits is my all time favorite so I have heard of Crook's Corner. Dont know if thats too upscale for a single diner. Probably will make a detour to Lexington BBQ #1 on the way!

Anonymous said...

Mama Dip's fried chicken is a fine thing, Mr. P. But Crook's isn't upscale at all. I've dined there alone several times. You can even have a dandy dinner at the bar (have a frozen mint julep with that shrimp and grits.) If you have time for lunch, I'd highly recommend either (or both) Neal's Deli -- the best pastrami outside the Lower East Side -- and Merritt's for the BLT, especially this time of year while the tomatoes are still good. Enjoy your trip.

Mr. P said...

Thanks Kathleen!

G.G. said...

I write the blog Marie, Let's Eat! and our coverage of North Carolina, outside of Asheville, has always been woeful. I really hope we'll find the funds for a long, long stay in your state, and do lots of traveling and eating. Top of my list, for years, has been Bar-B-Q Center in Lexington. I want to go there really badly!

Jim Pierson said...

If I could eat anywhere in NC...

That's a tough one, but my favorite spot poppped right in mind. It would have to be the Provision Company on the dock at the mouth of the Cape Fear River in Southport. The shack only has room for the kithchen and counter where you order. The bar and seating is out back on a covered section of the dock. I'm sure the sunset and salt breezes make the steamed shrimp and crab cakes taste better. But I wish I was there right now.