Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Parade magazine wants your pie recipe


I was looking for it Sunday and I missed it, so I figured you might not have spotted this either: Parade Magazine is holding a national pie contest, The All-American Pie-Off. The winners in seven categories (apple, cherry, Derby, Key Lime, pecan, pumpkin and sweet potato) will get $50 American Express gift cards, will be featured on parade.com and dashrecipes.com, and will have the chance to be featured in Parade.

The reason I was looking for it Sunday: I'm one of the judges. Parade apparently saw my article on sweet potato pie (yes, it should be North Carolina's state pie!), and asked if I'd judge the sweet potato category.

Other judges: Michele Stuart of Michele's Pies in Connecticut and author of "Perfect Pies"; Debbie Macomber, author of "The Christmas Cookbook"; Rosemary Black, author of a bunch of cookbooks (and mother of Kidcook columnist Molly Lopez, for those who remember her) and editor of Dash and Parade's Sunday Dinner column; Sharon Thompson, food writer for the Lexington Herald Leader; Janet Keller, food editor of the St. Pete Times; and Linda Odette of the Grand Rapids Press.

The deadline for entries is Nov. 19. Go here for details on how to enter. Make sure you send a good sweet potato entry - I'm looking forward to it.

Photo: Todd Sumlin, The Charlotte Observer.

3 comments:

Michael Solender said...

oohh what a lucky dawg!!Congrats on this, my dream gig! I am plotting and planning as we speak..

Arcola V. Tisdale said...

My God, do you ever write about anything interesting and or provocative about food? We've had enough of your endless musings on standard nursing home fare like Sweet potato pie, fried chicken, iced tea, and nana pudding.

You job is to enlighten us, not recycle pulse-pounding tales about your quest for the perfect pulled pork sandwich and which jerkwater burg has the best Lemonade. Get with it, lady

Kathleen Purvis said...

Thanks, Arcola. It's always so nice to hear from you.