Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Charlotte blogger featured for tomato recipe


Kelly Davis, a Charlotte cook who blogs about cooking on Foodie Fresh, has a recipe featured on a web site launched by a company called Lipman, the nation's largest grower of field tomatoes. Davis was one of 11 food bloggers nationwide who was asked to create a recipe for the launch of LipmanKitchen.com.

The recipe Kelly came up with was Crustless Quiche With Oven-Roasted Tomatoes and Basil. Now that both locally grown tomatoes and backyard basil are growing like crazy, it seemed like a good time to run it.

Crustless Quiche With Oven-Roasted Tomatoes and Basil

3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
8 Roma tomatoes, sliced 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
6 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Use 2 teaspoons oil to coat a large baking sheet and place tomato slices on the baking sheet. Do not let tomatoes overlap. Bake for 3-4 hours or until tomatoes shrivel from dehydration. When cooking is complete, remove tomatoes from oven. Reserve 8 slices of tomatoes and chop the rest of the tomatoes finely.

Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk eggs. Add milk, basil, chopped tomatoes, salt and pepper; stir well to combine. Oil a 9-inch quiche dish (or pie pan). Pour egg mixture into dish. Layer reserved tomato slices evenly over the top of the egg mixture.

Bake quiche 25-30 minutes or until the center of the quiche is completely firm.

7 comments:

Kelly @foodiefresh said...

Thanks so much for mentioning my recipe Helen. I'm so honored.

Kelly @foodiefresh said...

I'm so sorry Kathleen. I don't know why I referred to you as Helen. Total lapse of memory. Please forgive me.

Anonymous said...

I get cool ladies mixed up too, it happens to the best of us. Kelly, Helen, Kathleen. The list keeps growing...

Kathleen Purvis said...

No problem, Kelly. It happens all the time. And I'm flattered to be confused with Helen.

Jim Pierson said...

Imma try this recipe, but I think I'll tweak it. When I roast tomatoes, I like to slice them in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and pulp. That way there's not as much moisture to drive out so maybe I won't have to run the oven as long, especially in the summer. Which means I'll also probably roast them on indirect heat in the Weber. Thanks for recipe.

Anonymous said...

nice post.

Man Mohan said...

Love to Read your Recipe Blog. Thanks For Sharing.