Thursday, September 29, 2011

Cool cooking video of the week: Garlic

OK, this trick for how to peel garlic in less than 10 seconds in the Saveur test kitchen left me with a few questions:

How strong do you have to be to whack apart an entire head of what looks like elephant garlic with one hand? Are all the cloves in the bowl really peeled? It's hard to tell. And does it really work better with giant steel bowls?

On the other hand, even if it doesn't work, it certainly makes a very cool sound. If we all try it tonight, maybe we'll make beautiful music together. I'll give it a try this weekend and report back.

1 comments:

Robert said...

That's the first time I've seen the two bowl trick, which while it looks pretty fast does seem like it will leave you having to clean two large bowls. Cool stuff, though.

I've been peeling garlic with no fuss for years simply by placing it on my cutting board and pressing it beneath my large knife, with one hand on the handle and the other palm down across the knife flat to press it until it pops. The papery skin just falls off after that.