Friday, January 17, 2014

One Great . . . frozen Greek yogurt

With a three-day weekend to devote to cooking and a new stove to do it on, most of my cooking thoughts this week have been on hot stuff. What to braise/bake/simmer first?

Before turning to that, though, I also started thinking about a dessert. It's too early in the year to break the healthful-eating promises, but something virtuous and sweet is starting to call me.

A new little cookbook, "Cooking With Greek Yogurt," by Cassie Johnston, has been sitting on my desk waiting for a tryout. Since I always have a big tub of plain Greek yogurt in the refrigerator, I spotted this immediately. You can make it without an ice cream maker; Johnston says it is essentially an egg-free cookie dough you just freeze and scoop.

Did I mention I have a new refrigerator with lots of room in the freezer?

Cookie Dough Frozen Yogurt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chocolate chips or chocolate chunks
1 cup plain Greek yogurt

BEAT the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in the vanilla, flour and salt and mix until combined. Add the chocolate and yogurt and mix until combined.

SPOON into a freezer-safe, airtight container and freeze until solid, about 2 hours.

PER SERVING: 344 calories, 16g fat, 44g carbohydrates, 5g protein.

YIELD: 8 servings.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't exactly call this "virtuous". Compare it to regular ice cream, it has more calories and/or fat per serving than most. Good use of greek yogurt though!

Anonymous said...

Good point. But it's also higher in protein.