Don't forget that Saturday is the annual baking contest at the Matthews Community Farmers' Market. I hope so -- I'm a judge, along with Peter Reinhart and Sam Stachon from King's Bakery.
This year's theme is local produce -- the main ingredient has to be in-season market produce, from spinach to strawberries. You can get all of the rules at www.matthewsfarmersmarket.com, including the deadlines for entering, but here are the main ones:
- This is a baking competition, so there must be a baked component to the entry.
- All entries must be made from scratch.
- The recipe used, including ingredient list, must be provided at time of entry along with the
- baker's name, address and phone number. Index cards taped to submissions work best.
- Each entry should be ample enough for at least 25 tastes. If your recipe makes only a small
- number of servings, please consider doubling or tripling it. There needs to be enough for the
- judge's table and enough to be submitted for the public tasting table.
- Please use disposable dishes or pans.