Tuesday, January 8, 2013

One Great . . . different hummus

I tried an experiment in blogging last week: I posted a recipe for Sweet Pea Hummus from the new book "Meatless" from Martha Stewart Living and asked if anyone who made it would share their feedback.

The response was . . . mostly silence. I'm guessing we're all still caught in the winding-down mode after the holidays. Still, my friend and colleague Hilary Trenda did make it for friends over the weekend and shared her notes: Originally, the thawed peas and the mixture of tahini, cilantro and lemon juice seemed thin. But when she refrigerated it, it thickened back up to a dip consistency.

The men at her gathering turned up their noses at it -- too green. But the women liked it. And if you're looking for something for a healthful snack or to tuck into your lunch bag to replace the 3 p.m. junk machine run, it's tasty and it could come in handy. The editors of "Meatless" point out that a cup of peas has more protein than a large egg.

Sweet Pea Hummus

I adapted the recipe to use frozen peas, which are more available and usually fresher tasting than fresh peas.

1 cup frozen green peas, rinsed to thaw
1/4 cup fresh cilantro (leaves and stems)
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 small clove garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
Whole grain crackers, for serving

RINSE  the peas to thaw and drain well. Pulse in a food processor with the cilantro, tahini, lemon juice, garlic and cumin until smooth, 30 to 40 seconds. Season to taste with salt and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve with whole grain crackers.

Makes 1 1/4 cups.


3 comments:

Mr. P said...

The recipe looked "questionable" to me. Something I would like to taste first before I made. I do love peas. Do you have any good recipes for them? I just steam them. Other than steamed, maybe English mushy peas, I don't know what to do with them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Mr. P. This would certainly have more flavor than mushy peas. There are all kinds of uses for frozen peas. For starters: Make pea soup (it's wonderful as a cold soup in summer), toss them with pasta, thaw them and add them to a salad, or saute them with a little olive oil and garlic.

Mr. P said...

Thanks! Peas are my favorite veggie. Its kinda hard to find a dish where the peas are the star of the dish. Pea soup, Indian paneer and peas.