Tuesday, January 15, 2013

How good is your cornbread?

Martha White is accepting entries for the 17th annual National Cornbread Cook-Off, held April 27 in South Pittsburg, Tenn. And if you don't think the competition is tough, remember that Charlotte cooking-contest champion Janice Elder was in the Top 10 last year, but didn't win. When Janice doesn't win, that's saying something.

Ten finalists are chosen to go to the cook-off, where the grand prize is $5,000, a 30-inch FiveStar stainless steel gas range and special gifts from Lodge Cast Iron and Martha White. From previous years, I seem to recall that a cast-iron skillet crown may be involved. Why yes -- there's Janice Elder getting crowned the winner in 2006. (Did I promise Janice I would never run that picture? So many things to remember. Must have slipped my mind.)


Anyway, deadline for entries is Feb. 28. The entries must be for a main-dish recipe made in Lodge cast-iron cookware using at least one package of Martha White Cornbread Mix. You can get all of the rules and find out how to send in your entry by going to www.marthawhite.com.

If you make it, promise you'll send me a picture. I might promise not to run it. But we know what that's worth, don't we, Janice?



2 comments:

Mr. P said...

I recently tried the Peter Rheinart Bread Bakers Apprentice recipe. Soak the cornmeal in buttermilk,add bacon, corn kernels. Unfortunately it didn't come out for me. I'm sure it was the cook's fault. It was under cooked. Plus having to us a 9x13 pan rather than a cast iron skillet, it wasn't crusty.

JaneL said...

Love the pic of Janice getting her crown!