Friday, August 3, 2012

This is for all the truckers out there

How can I resist this request? A company called Rudolph Foods asked me if I'd post an announcement about their food contest.

Now, I get requests like that, oh, about every 30 seconds for most of the working day. I shoot down PR requests like skeet on a clear fall day. But when I saw the contest . . . well, how could I resist?

The pitch was labeled "Porkrinds, Ducktape and $1500." And the contest is called "What's In Your Truck?" in honor of National Truck Driver Appreciation Week.

I am a person who seriously appreciates truckers. I once did a story on the winner of the Best Truck Stop Waitress contest. Coolest moment: Climbing into the cabin of a long-haul truck to take a tour. When this journalism thing stops working out, I could see a CB radio and a cot behind the seat as a serious career option.

So: If you are a truck driver or know a truck driver, tell them they can enter by making a video of themselves finishing this sentence: "Three things I always have in my truck: A bag of pork rinds, a roll of Duck Tape and . . . "

Enter your video at www.rudolphfoods.com or Facebook.com/RudolphFoods. Deadline is Aug. 7.

First prize is $1,500, and a year's supply each of pork rinds and Duck Tape; 2nd is a year's supply of pork rinds and Duck Tape; third is a bunch of pork rinds and Duck Tape.

Now: Everybody lean out of the window and pull our arms down to make the driver blow his horn.

0 comments: