Friday, July 6, 2012

A taste of Savory Spice Shop


Getting away from my desk in these post-social media days sometimes means picking the lock on my ankle manacle. I managed it a week or so ago and galloped happily off down South Boulevard.

That's how I finally had a chance to stop into Savory Spice Shop at the Atherton Mill complex in South End, which opened last wwinter.

It took a few minutes to find it. Since the original announcements came in the Atherton Market newsletter, I thought it was a kiosk inside the market. Actually, Savory is in a storefront, around the corner from Zucca Pizza, facing on South and nearest to the end of the mill building by Tremont Avenue. (Sorry, that's the best description I can come up with.)

Savory is a franchise of a spice company based in Colorado. They stock more than 400 herbs and spices, most in glass jars so you can buy anything from a 1/2 ounce up. You're also encouraged to taste and smell samples and just brush them into the floor when you're done.

There's a staff-picks shelf with recipes (someone named Steven apparently really like mustard seeds) and they're doing wedding favors in tiny bags. Clever idea if you're looking for a party favor option. During the summer grilling season, it's also a good place to look for rubs for grilling.

The official address is 2000 South Blvd.; hours are 10 a.m.-6 p.m. weekdays, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and noon to 4 p.m. Sunday. There's also a location in Birkdale Village in Huntersville.

Find more about the shops (and maybe get a better idea on those directions) on Facebook; look for SavorySpiceShopCharlotteSouthend.

3 comments:

Jim Pierson said...

Savory Spice also opened in Greensboro in Friendly Center about the same time. I wonder if it's the same franchisee. Anyway, I was like a kid in a candy store and had to cut myself off. They had everything I was looking for, including grains of paradise. Unfortunately this store was also a bit difficult to locate. It is on the east side of the Harris Teeter anchor. The prices on a lot of the basic stuff is cheaper than the things you find on the McCormick shelf in the grocery store.

Alison said...

Jim, yes it is a franchise. Scott is one of the owners of both Charlotte area locations.

Stacy said...

Glad you broke free! I just discovered your blog and now I am wishing I lived in or could visit the Carolinas some time soon. New wish list entry.

Stacy